Monday, August 24, 2009

Fabric, Fabric, Fabric

There is a area in Dallas called Harry Hines (since it happens to be along the Harry Hines road) where you can find wholesale jewelry, handbags and other miscellaneous items.It is also where the infamous Sam Moon is located. Harry Hines is very similar to Harwin in Houston (another area named after the street it runs along). When I lived in Dallas and now when I go back to visit I always make a trip to Harry Hines to shop at Ohm an accessory store and to go to the discount fabric stores.
It was at one of these fabric stores that I found the fabric below, which I used for my bedroom. This pattern was $4 a yard, for something that would probably be $25 at Hancock's or JoAnn's. I liked it soo much I went back to buy the rest of the bolt.


An up close shot of the pattern.


This summer, on a visit to Dallas I did my usual drive by of the stores on Harry Hines. This time I was on the lookout for some fabric to recover a couch and chair I had recently purchased at an antique store in Harlingen, TX (before and after pics to come soon).

I didn't find any fabric for my couch, but I did find some remnants that were too cheap to pass up.

Each of these pieces were on $2 a yard!


This pink and green had 9 yards left (not qite enough for my couch :(

This toile actually has a pale yellow background. For a brief moment was going to do the chair in the toile and the couch in the pink and green above, but alas not enough yardage for either.
And finally the piece de resistance. My favorite buy of the weekend, I would do an entire living room in this pattern! But they only had 5 yards @ $2/yard. I did do some investigating on the web and found it for $10/yard on a few sites, it is just soooo hard to pay $10 when you just paid $2, Don't ya think?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, just found your blog this evening. I live in East Texas and we gals over here make frequent trips to Dallas & the Harry Hines stores. We used to go to the oldest Sam Moon (which tells you how long I've been around!) and most recently we came from our hometown to buy pageant fabric for our daughters who were going to be the royalty in our parade! That's a great area to find anything you want for great prices! Glad you posted about it - hmmm, now I'm thinking that I'm long overdue for a trip to Dallas. Let me see how many girlfriends I can round up!

    ReplyDelete