Sunday, March 8, 2009

Too much stuff Too little space

Over the past few years I have lived in several small apartments, with and without roommates. So although I have a passion for collecting furniture and knick knacks, I usually do not have enough space to showcase them in the place I am living. Case in point, about a year ago at Canton First Monday, I had found a great deal on an old patio set (the pieces were aluminum and had that bamboo/chippendale look going on).


I found a love seat and small tables from one vendor, and 4 chairs from another. The catch, I did not have a patio to put the pieces on, in fact I had never lived in a place that could have accommodated any type of patio furniture let alone 8 pieces. It took me trips to get all the pieces back to my apartment, where they sat taking up the entire back of the dining room and living room. The only choice I had was to get a storage unit.
Though this may seem crazy to some, I continue to buy items that I have no physical space in my apartment to put them. But I remember once reading about a designer who said that he had multiple storage units where he stockpiled all of the pieces he had collected over they years, so that when he did finally have a large enough home he would be able to fill every room with his special pieces. This is the story I am sticking to as well.
Latest purchase that I have no room for in my apartment. A vintage wheat grass metal wall hanging. Bought at the All City Indoor Market held once a month at the Pharr International Convention Center.

And, a piece that I do have room for, milk glass.

1 comment: