Wednesday, October 21, 2009

New Living Room

I was waiting to post these pictures until I could find where I put the before photo, but thanks to my Mom's plug (said with a sarcastic tone) on her blog White Spraypaint I didn't want to keep anyone waiting too long.

I purchased these 3 pieces at an antique store in downtown Harlingen. They were in pretty bad shape to begin with, so I got them for an incredible price (at least I think it was an incredible price) $150.

With the help of my parents I hauled all the pieces back to Mcallen and immediately dropped them off at Garcia's Upholstery (Its a hole in the wall place just south of downtown on old 83). I dumped all the pieces, told Mr. Garcia I was in nooooo hurry, and went on a quest to find fabric.

I stumbled upon the linen(esque) light blue fabric in the clearance section at Hancock's, and haggled down the price to $4 dollars a yard. (the haggling part is a long story for another time).

Now for the trim, it was impossible to find a trim that matched exactly and did not clash too much with the wood, or was sooo loud that it was all you saw. I finally decided on nailhead trim, and ordered 50 yards from diyupholsterysupply.com , check out there sight they have great stuff at reasonable prices.

Ok, long story long the finished results are below. And if you live in the RGV and need something recovered, I highly recommend Garcia's Upholstery, they do incredible work at a great price. See for yourself below.



I am still in the process of arranging my living room with the new pieces, and I will post pics when I have it completed.

5 comments:

  1. They are fabulous pieces that will give you enjoyment...possibly forever, classic color too. Heirlooms.
    I bet your mom is proud for you.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! you did that? i surely hope you do this for a living........but if you don't- quit your day job and start re-upholsering -

    I would L-O-V-E to try that some day!

    Your Mom is delightful by the way........

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love love the color and love that all the pieces are the same color and not a print_ what kind of material was used?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabric was a "faux" linen, I liked the linen look, but I wanted something that would be a little tougher and not wrinkle as easily. The faux linen was lined or back with a thin layer of a kind of cotton filling material, which I though would make it even more sturdy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey lauren! I found you on cyperspace... I love what you did with the set- it is gorgeous and looks like you spent 15x as much!!! The nail head trim is so pretty...I die!...hahaha :) Right out of traditional home...so pretty. Hope to see you soon! lee ann

    ReplyDelete